The arrival of Antônio Corrêa Bueno

The history of Morrinhos dates back to the first half of the 17th century, when the rural producer Antônio Corrêa Bueno and his brothers, born in the city of Patrocínio / MG, arrived the lands that today comprise the municipality of Morrinhos. Antônio Corrêa Bueno and his brothers were attracted by the fertility of the soil and excellent topography, ideal for raising livestock and cultivating crops. Some years later, families from São Paulo and Minas Gerais settled in the region, promoting their rapid development. A small church was erected and, in its turn was forming a village that soon would be baptized of Nossa Senhora do Carmo, name given the patroness of the village and presently patron of the municipality. Other names were also given to the place over the years, Nossa Senhora do Carmo dos Morrinhos, Vila Bela do Paranaíba and Vila Bela de Nossa Senhora do Carmo de Morrinhos. The small village developed a lot until it was taken to the District in the year 1845. From 1855 to 1859, the town lived a short period as a Municipality, returning to the condition of the District shortly afterwards. But in 1882, the District was definitively elevated to the condition of Municipality, now with the name Morrinhos.

In the middle of the seventeenth century began the settlement of the region of the current municipality, when Antônio Corrêa Bueno, a native of Patrocínio, in the state of Minas Gerais, there he settled with a small agricultural and cattle ranch. The chapel consecrated to Nossa Senhora do Carmo, which the pioneer built on its property, soon became the nucleus of a growing town (Nossa Senhora do Carmo), made up of settlers from São Paulo and Minas Gerais. The patrimony of the chapel would be constituted in 1845, with the donation, by public deed, of lands owned by Captain Gaspar Martins da Veiga. At that time due to the development of the place the town was elevated to District with the name of Vila Bela de Morrinhos, due to small hills existing in the neighborhoods of the city, belonging to the municipality of Santa Cruz de Goiás.

Morrinhos was founded at the beginning of the 19th century by Antônio Corrêa Bueno, a miner from Patrocínio, who built his residence there and a chapel dedicated to Nossa Senhora do Carmo, a name given later to the town that came with the presence of miners and Paulistas who came explore the fertility of their lands. On November 25, 1855 it was elevated to the category of municipality, suppressed on August 19, 1859 to be called Vila Bela do Paranaíba and reestablished on July 2, 1871, again as Vila Bela de Morrinhos, now belonging to the municipality of Pouso High (current Piracanjuba). On August 29, 1882 was elevated to the category of city with the name Morrinhos.

Its first county was created on July 21, 1863, suspended on March 16, 1910 and reinstated on July 21, 1913. Its first chamber was formed in 1884 and its first intendant, after the Proclamation of the Republic was Mr. José Luiz de Medeiros.